I had the privilege over the weekend of equipping youth pastors & leaders at the 2014 NCN Leaders Conference! Below are my notes…
5 Secrets To Being An Amazing Youth Leader!
#1 Serve Humbly
Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you’ll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you’re serving is Christ. The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being a follower of Jesus doesn’t cover up bad work. Col 3:23 (MSG)
- It’s not about you, it’s about HIM, so give your best! Remembering who you’re really serving will bring you greater joy & get you through the tough times when you’re tempted to quit!
- True leadership is not just about being on stage or talking in the mic, it’s about faithfully serving where you’re asked to serve to the best of your ability!
#2 Honor Joyfully
Have confidence in your leaders and submit to their authority, because they keep watch over you as those who must give an account. Do this so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no benefit to you. Hebrews 13:17 (NIV)
- Make your leaders look good! When you honor your leadership (No matter how flawed they may be), you communicate to God that you’re ready for greater leadership responsibilities!
- Pray for & encourage your leaders by giving them genuine compliments & serving them above & beyond!
From a wise mind comes wise speech; the words of the wise are persuasive. Proverbs 16:23 (NLT)
- Speak life! Always be positive & speak encouraging faith-filled-words to your fellow leaders & students!
- Over-communicate with your leadership! Let them know in advance if you are ever going to be late or absent!
#4 Dream Passionately
Then the Lord answered me and said: “Write the vision and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it.” Habakkuk 2:2 (NKJV)
- Take things to the next level! Seek the Lord & dream of ways to improve the areas of ministry that you oversee or are part of!
- Go to your leaders & passionately share your visionary ideas!
#5 Duplicate Decisively
Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. Their responsibility is to equip God’s people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ. Ephesians 4:11-12 (NLT)
- Teens spell love as “T.I.M.E.” When you give them your time & what they can’t get anywhere else – the agape love of Christ, they will keep coming back of more!
- Your life is the greatest sermon a student will read! Teach them how to pray, study the Word, share their testimony & serve! Duplicate yourself by teaching them how to serve alongside you within the ministry!