You walk in the door, “Call of Duty” is blaring on the TV, your teens homework still isn’t done, and their room is a mess and they know better! Ever been there before? If so, allow me to share with you 4 Parenting keys for the strong-willed teen.
1. Don’t discipline in Anger.
Cool off – breath, pray & when you can calmly & wisely communicate, start the discipline process.
2. Follow through
If you say it, stand by it. If you don’t, your kids will always push until you cave to give them what they want. This creates a culture of manipulation in your home and an open door to the enemy.
3. If your kids are awake they are probably online.
TV’s, cell phones or computers/iPads don’t belong in bedrooms. So often our children/teens come across things on TV, the Internet, or on their phone they shouldn’t be watching or listening to. A lot of texting goes on late in the night hours or behind closed bedroom doors with all kinds of social drama. Save your children from their innocence being stolen or heart ache from communication that could’ve been prevented!
- 79% of youth exposed to pornography occurs in the home.
- An estimated 20% of parents do not supervise their children’s Internet use at all.
- Only 52% of parents moderately supervise their children’s Internet use.
- Some 71% of parents stop supervising Internet use by their children after the age of 14, yet 72% of all Internet-related missing children cases involve children who are 15 years of age or older.
- Close to 62% of teens say their parents know little or nothing about the websites they visit.
A bedroom door has hinges for a reason! It can be removed…need I say more?
4. You Can Do It
God has entrusted you with children. You can do ALL things through Christ. Get in HIS presence daily (worship, prayer, Bible meditation) so you can be the parent God desires you to be. He will counsel & strengthen you in every situation. Seek Him first.
If you have any thoughts, comments or questions leave them below…