Here is the check-list I’ve compiled after 10 years of trial & error!
Spend time daily with the Lord through…
- Prayer, Bible meditation & worship (You can’t give what you don’t have! So, fill yourself up so that you can be poured out!)
Communicate with your Pastor/ Leadership regarding the upcoming service (s)
- What is the overall service going to look like?
- What is the theme of the message?
- How much time will there be for musical worship?
Prayerfully create your set-list with songs that…
- Are in your vocal range/ that you are comfortable leading/ playing
- Your band/ vocalists can play/ sing with excellence
- Are singable for your audience & move them to a deeper place of worship
- Flow together dynamically in the proper keys as much as possible
- Relate to the theme of the message as much as possible
Solidify your worship team in advance
- Get them your set-list as far in advance as possible along with audio files, sheet-music & specific info so that they can practice!
Prayerfully think through & practice your transitions between songs
- How will you start & end each song musically & dynamically?
- What might God have you say to encourage your audience?
Master your parts
- Practice your vocal/ instrument parts so that you can lead with confidence
Lead a great team practice
- Show up early & make sure your team has everything they will need
- Honor & encourage your team/ lead them spiritually & pray together
- Bring them up to speed on the upcoming service, set-list, songs & transitions
- Practice your songs & transitions in the order you will play them live
- Correct mistakes now so that they don’t become distractions later
- Pray with your team before you take the stage & encourage them to model extravagant worship
Lead contagious worship
- The preparation is over, so worship the Lord with all your heart!
- Have fun and engage your audience!
- Eliminate distractions by mastering the transitions between songs!
Be ready for the un-expected
- Be sensitive to the Spirit’s leading & ready to follow Him no matter what!
- Honor your authority & go with the flow even if your Pastor/ Leadership changes the plan!
Celebrate the victories with your team
- Encourage them & let them know how much you appreciate them!
Reflect on the areas that need improvement
- What can you/ your team do better next time?